Sunday, February 10, 2013

I couldn't be a single mum

I just couldn't do it. I think if I for whatever reason became a single mum, I would have to find a bloke, any bloke (well, not ANY bloke obviously as would have to put my kids first), so that I wasn't on my own. Its not that I mind being on my own but its just endless. Putting to bed, brushing teeth (which I forgot to do tonight incidentally), making go to toilet, changing nappies, making sure all required toys are in bed with said children, loading the dishwasher, unloading the dishwasher, feeding the animals, locking the chickens up, going to bed at 9pm cos you're too tired to do anything else, getting woken up at 6am (feeling like you only just shut your eyes), getting kids ready to go, getting self ready for work, driving to work, working, driving back, putting kids to bed, going to bed at 9pm..... AND REPEAT SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES.

I couldn't do it. I really couldn't. RESPECT BIG TIME TO SINGLE PARENTS.

I feel like I shouldn't moan. I can hear people saying "This is just life with kids" and I know I should accept that. I told my mum I was tired when I saw her yesterday and she said "but you're only a part time mum". I think she realised as soon as she'd said it that it wasn't really the right thing to say.

Yes, I do only look after them evenings and weekends but right now, I'm on my own. There's no respite from even ONE putting back to bed of 4 year old or getting up in middle of night to comfort 2 year old or taking in turns to have a lie in at the weekends. This doesn't come naturally to me. I love them. I have fun with them. I play with them and enjoy them. But I get tired and I get fed up. I feel like I'm fast nearing the end of my tether. I'm thinking about having a bath but I'm not sure I have the energy. By the time I get upstairs and run it, it will be 9pm and then I'll probably spend an hour in there and then it will be 10pm and that's too late for me right now.

I may be a moaner but this isn't living. Being so tired that you go to bed at 9 to 9.30 every night.

That's it. I have no more to say. Good night.

6 comments:

  1. It's ok to feel that way, it's bloody hard work! And I totally agree, I have so much respect for single parents.

    Hope you get some well earned sleep and feel better. Sending you some scandalously perky e-vibes :) xxx

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, could not be a single parent! Hang in there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as cliche as it sounds, it does get better. I'm a single mum and have been for two and a half years. Its tough at times but you do what you have to. All sympathy for you though, just keep smiling x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know I'd just get on and do it if I had to and I actually enjoyed the first 5 days or so of hubs being away but now the tiredness has got to me. I guess you get used to it. I do have very supportive family (mine and in laws) who have been doing lots to help out so I should be grateful (I am actually). I reckon knowing he's coming home on saturday is both a curse and a blessing. A blessing cos I know I'll get a break. A curse cos it makes each day feel like much harder work than if it was just "normal life" if that makes sense.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment but please be aware my blog has now moved to www.muminahurry.com so I'd love it if you'd come visit and comment there.